Taste of Japan and Sake Live vol.38
Products used in "Taste of Japan and Sake vol.38"
This is a dish that I have never met anyone who did not like. Aubergine is an understated vegetable. It looks black and impenetrable, but cooking it right liberates the incredible juiciness and deliciousness, it is a heavenly combination with dark and intensive but sweet hacho miso paste.
Vegetable based neutral flavoured oil
|2 tbsp /30ml||Hacho miso|
- For the dark miso sauce, whisk sugar, mirin, water and dark miso together. Heat over medium heat stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Wash aubergine, cut off the cap and stem. Lay the aubergine horizontally on chopping board, cut vertically into 2cm thick discs.
- Score a criss-cross pattern on both sides.
Cooking and serving
- Preheat 1cm deep vegetable oil in a frying over medium heat. Add the aubergine discs and cook for 3 minutes, cover with lid to protect you from splatter and to steam the aubergine. Turn over to cook the other side for 5 minutes with the lid. Adjust the heat to prevent the aubergine from burning.
- Rest the aubergine on kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil
- Spread the miso paste over the surface of the aubergine.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds to serve.