Japanese Cooking and Sake Live vol.12
Products used in "Japanese Cooking and Sake Live vol.12"
Beef Tataki in Ponzu
Serves 2 as starter
130g beef fillet
Salt and pepper
50ml Shiho ponzu yuzu katsuo
35ml Clearspring organic sunflower oil
2 Shallot (or ½ echalion shallot)
For Garlic chips
3 Garlic cloves
Sunflower oil or vegetable oil for frying garlic chips and to cook beef
- Season the beef well with salt and pepper. Heat the frying pan with a small amount of oil over high heat until it is almost smoking. Sear the beef on all sides until the surfaces are brown but the inside remains rare.
- Plunge the beef in iced water for 5 minutes to cool down immediately. Dry with kitchen towel, leave to rest in the fridge.
- Slice shallot finely in mandolin slicer or by sharp knife. Mix Shiho ponzu yuzu katsuo and Clearspring organic sunflower oil, add sliced shallot to marinade.
- Make garlic chips. Slice garlic finely in mandolin slicer or by sharp knife and place them onto a saucepan. Cover with milk and bring to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat. Drain the garlic and rinse in cold running water, patting dry on a clean cloth or kitchen towel. Heat the oil in a frying pan to 140°C, cook garlic in small batches until they are light brown. Dry in kitchen paper.
- Take out the beef from the fridge, slice it thinly. Lay them on a plate.
- Pour ponzu dressing over the beef, add the marinated shallot across the beef. Sprinkle garlic chips to serve.